Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cowboys and Indians

When I was little my grandmother (Grandmomma) kept me and my 2 cousins while our parents worked.I have to mention that my 2 cousins happen to be boys and were the best of friends. We were all the same age, born with in one year of each other. Jason was born in November of 1981, Lance was born in March of 1982, and then I was born in September of 1982. Needless to say, we were always at war with each other and 1 girl against 2 boys... let's just say the odds were against me. I was the tattle tale. If the boys were doing anything they weren't supposed to... I told Grandmomma. ALWAYS.

There was this one time when we were outside and they were running around, chasing each other, playing cowboys and indians. I wanted to play and they weren't letting me... so what did I do? I told Grandmomma and all she had to say was "Y'ALL GO OUTSIDE!! AND LET THAT BABY PLAY!!", that baby being me. So they obliged because the last thing we wanted to do if go inside and watch Grandmomma's shows with her (soap operas). They told me to stand in front of the big tree that was in Grandmomma's front yard. They grabbed a rope and each had one end and started running in opposite directions around the tree. I, not being the sharpest tool in the shed, didn't realize they were tying me to the tree until they were tying the knot in the rope. I was squirming to get out when Lance pulled out a book of matches and they were lighting them and throwing them at my feet. My cousins were trying to set me on fire! It didn't work because the fire would blow out as they threw the matches on the ground. (Thank the Lord) My saving grace was Junior, my aunt's (Lance's Mom) boyfriend came over and made them turn me loose.

There are many stories I could tell of me and my cousins, but this is one of my favorites.

No comments: